Happy Father’s Day to All Gracie Barra Fathers!
This is a story shared by one of our Gracie Barra Facebook fans!
Jiu Jitsu will teach anyone about life. Lifestyle, thriving in harsh conditions, perseverance, discipline. Pretty much everything that will help us in life. Jiu Jitsu is life. Here’s a story about a boy who found Jiu Jitsu and how it thought him how to be a father.
This is a story about a man whom I met some years ago. I can say that I look up to him. Idolize him because I grew up missing my dad. But somehow, Jiu Jitsu thought him about being a Father. I guess Jiu Jitsu saved his family.
One day after sweating it out the mats, Antonio asked me if I could go and have lunch with him. I was surprised to that my instructor and I shared a lot in common. He told me his father left them when he was six. All he had were vague images of his father taking him into a theme park back in the and an old photo. It was just that. Nothing more. It was then that I realized that despite the lack of a father figure at home, he became a successful dad to his kids. Surprising as it is.
He didn’t get to finish his story. It was then after a couple of days that he shared to me the things he learned about life when practicing Jiu Jitsu.
He became a great dad because he taught and followed Jiu Jitsu
- Tap if you must. Losing one end of fatherhood does not dictate a lifetime of it.
- Jiu Jitsu is gentle, and so does fatherhood. Be gentle to your family.
- Roll with the times, and go with the flow. Use adversities momentum to your advantage.
- Speak of good will and positivism with your family.
- Train with your kids. If you can’t have quality time inside the house, you can have it in the mats.
- Use your leverage as a father. A father must know when to use I am the father of this house.
- Respect is the key: respect your family at all times.
- Be a father not only to those whom you spend time in the house, but a figure likewise to those in the mats.
- You will make mistakes in Jiu Jitsu. The same goes as to being a father. Mistakes are just temporary setbacks.
- Do not ever give up. Strive to be the best that you can be for everyone in your family.
To all Dads, Fathers, Pops, my old man, Daddies of Gracie Barra, Happy father’s day! Here’s a quick slideshow about the dads here all over Gracie Barra
Created with flickr slideshow.